Firm Partner Sherry Shavit will be a featured guest speaker at the 2018 PIHRA LEGAL UPDATES seminars to be held at the Riverside Convention Center in Riverside on January 9th, the JW Mariott in Los Angeles on January 17th, and the Hilton Anaheim in Anaheim on February 1st. Ms. Shavit’s topic of discussion will be “My Manager is a Bully – What do I do?,” focusing on California law governing abusive conduct in the workplace. Read More
Topics for this Month include:
– Reminders of laws that go into effect on January 1
– “Escalated” Compensation for Employees Returning from Military Leave
– Temporary Layoffs and California WARN Act
– Closely Held Corporation Owners Can be Liable as “Joint Employers”
– And more!
The new year is rapidly approaching. Here are a few reminders of changes that go into effect on January 1, 2018:
- Minimum wage in California increases to $10.50 per hour for employers with 25 or less employees and $11.00 per hour for employers with 26 or more employees.
Topics for this Month include:
– New employment laws for 2018
– Wage and hour law employee vs. independent contractor test
– Liability for non-employee sexual harassment under the FEHA
– Leave of absence accommodations under the ADA
There were a few bills that did not survive the governor’s veto power, but here are the employment related laws that will go into effect starting January 1, 2018, unless otherwise noted:
- SB 63: Employers with 20-49 employees within a 75-mile radius in California will be required to provide employees who meet the CFRA requirements up to 12 weeks of unpaid parental leave within the first year of the birth, adoption or foster placement of a child.
On July 20, 2016, Firm attorneys David S. Binder and Zena M. Kalioundji were guest speakers on the topic of employment and labor law at the at the Commerce Industrial Council’s Human Resources Mid-Year Forum held in Commerce, California. Mr. Binder and Ms. Kalioundji represent and counsel management in all aspects of employment law including wrongful discharge, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wage and hour claims; and also routinely represent employers before the WCAB, DFEH, EEOC, DLSE, EDD, and Cal OSHA. Read More
Tharpe & Howell, LLP will be an exhibitor at the California Coalition on Workers’ Compensation Legislative and Educational Forum, to be held at Disney’s Grand California Hotel on July 13-15, 2016, in Anaheim, California. At this 14th annual conference, human resources, health and safety, and risk and claims management professionals will share diverse perspectives on important issues affecting California Workers’ Compensation litigation and business practices. Various attorneys who practice in the Firm’s Workers’ Compensation Defense and Employment and Labor Law Practice Groups, including Firm Partner David Binder and Associate Zena Kalioundji, will be personally manning Tharpe & Howell’s exhibition booth and look forwarding to sharing interesting strategies and ideas with other HR and WC professionals there! Read More