October 05th, 2021/By Dan Dankberg/In Firm News, Firm News
Tharpe & Howell, LLP, is proud to announce national certification as a Women’s Business Enterprise by the Women Business Enterprise Council-West, a regional certifying partner of the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC).
The WBENC standard of certification implemented by the Women Business Enterprise Council-West is a meticulous process including an in-depth review of the business and site inspection. The certification process is designed to confirm the business is at least 51% owned, operated, and controlled by a woman or women. Read More
Topics for this Month include:
- Injunctions Issued for AB 5 and AB 51
- New DOL Rules on Joint Employment and Calculating Regular Rate of Pay
- NLRB Reverses Stance on Use of Work Email and Maintaining Confidentiality of Workplace Investigations
- Employer’s Name on Wage Statements
- And check out an article from SHRM on Sherry B. Shavit’s latest presentation on PAGA at: https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/state-and-local-updates/pages/california-paga-law-poses-huge-risks-for-employers.aspx.
Preliminary Injunction Issued to Enjoin Enforcement of Assembly Bill 51
Assembly Bill No. Read More
Firm Partner Sherry B. Shavit was invited to present at the Professionals in Human Resources Association (“PIHRA”) Legal Updates across Southern California in January on “The Latest and (Not So) Greatest on PAGA.” Ms. Shavit, whose practice includes advising and defending employers of all sizes against wage and hour class and PAGA (Private Attorneys General Act) actions, discussed the rise in popularity and the danger of PAGA lawsuits.
You can find a summary of Ms. Shavit’s presentation written by the national Society for Human Resources Management (“SHRM”), of which PIHRA is its largest chapter, here: https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/state-and-local-updates/pages/california-paga-law-poses-huge-risks-for-employers.aspx. Read More
Firm Partner David Binder and Senior Associate Zena Kalioundji will be featured guest speakers at the Commerce Industrial Counsel (CIC) Human Resources Forum to be held at 6055 East Washington Boulevard in Commerce, California, on January 22, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. The topic of their presentation will be “2020 New Employment Law Update.” Please contact our office if you are interested in attending.
Mr. Binder and Ms. Kalioundji serve clients in the Firm’s Employment and Labor Law Practice Group as well as its Workers’ Compensation Defense Practice Group. Read More
Topics for this Month include:
- Enacted California Employment-Related Bills
- DOL’s Final Regulations on New Salary Thresholds for Exemptions
- Meal and Rest Break Questions Certified to CA Supreme Court
- No Unpaid Wage Recovery in a Pure PAGA Action
- Rulings on On-Duty Meal Periods
- Franchisor Held Not Liable as Joint Employer
- And more . . .
We are in the home stretch! Governor Newsom has until October 13, 2019 to sign or veto bills passed by the Legislature which, unless otherwise specified, will go into effect on January 1, 2020. Read More